There’s an app for everything these days—from finding your parked car to trying on virtual eyeglasses. There are great apps for having adventures with pet, too. Here are some of our favorite pet activity apps:
1. As Woof Trax says, “Don’t just take your dog for a walk. Take your walk for a dog!” This fund-raising app lets you score donations for your favorite animal shelter or rescue every time you walk your pet. Whether you go around the block or hike for miles, the app will track your steps and donate to a registered 501(c) (3) non-profit or qualifying city shelter.
2. You’ll want BringFido if you bring Fido—well, almost anywhere. This free, iOS app lists dog-friendly parks, hotels, outdoor eateries, beaches, trails and more. It also guides you to dog events and resources like dog sitters.
3. Play dates are great for socializing your dog and giving him plenty of exercise. Help your canine meet new friends with Meet My Dog. Available for iOS and Android, it uses your location to connect to other dogs and their people.
4. GoPetFriendly promises you to help you “sniff out” over 65,000 pet-friendly places in the US and Canada, including off-leash parks, campgrounds, hotels, restaurants and even wineries.
5. While AllTrails isn’t specifically designed for pet owners, this app does have filters to help you find dog-friendly trails. Just search for a US city and you’ll find photos, ratings and driving directions to the trail. Purchase AllTrails Pro to download, email or print over 50,000 trail maps. Available for iOS and Android.
6. Teach your dog to sit and stay with iClicker, a dog training app for iOS. An animated clicker makes the sound, and tutorials and videos guide you step-by-step as you give your dog a fun workout.
7. Most of us like to play games on our mobile devices. Why should our fur friends be any different? Game for Dogs, for iOS, is a collection of games to play with Fido. As virtual toys move around your screen, they make sounds that stimulate your dog and encourage physical activity. (Then again, your dog may prefer to sit and watch, as if it’s a TV show.) The games include Squirrely Sam, Squeaky Spot and Couple O’ Cats. A similar Android app, Games for Dogs includes a mouse hunt and dog piano game.
8. Dog Walk, for iOS and Android, tracks your route when you take your pup for a stroll or hike. It also records distance and time and shows your position on a map.
9. When you dog needs exercise, but you can’t make time for a walk, use Wag! to find a vetted dog walker. Wag! services are insured and bonded, and customer support is offered around the clock.
10. Park Bark, for Android, uses your location to find dog parks. Filter the results for parks with amenities such as fences, swimming areas, shade and agility courses. And Dog Park Finder Plus, for iOS, directs you to over 6,000 dog parks and beaches and 12,000 dog-friendly restaurants in North America. Search by user ratings, on-leash rules, hours of operation and more.
Bonus: Whether you’re traveling or having fun with your pup at home, Figo’s Pet Cloud lets you manage your pet’s needs with an easy-to-use app. Aside from storing medical records, pet insurance information and appointment reminders, the Figo Pet Cloud helps you find pet-friendly locations based on your location or by zip. From pet-friendly parks to restaurants and other accommodations, the Figo Pet Cloud will help power your pet adventure. Watch for new features coming in 2018!
Many of these apps are free or available for a small charge, so choose an activity or interest and get going. Dogs love adventures with their people!
Lynn Coulter is owned by two rescue dogs—Molly and Miss Paws—and occasionally blogs at LynnCoulter.com. She’s also the author of three books and a freelancer who writes about travel, gardening and more. She and her husband live in metro Atlanta, where they cheer for the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets and spend their money on dog biscuits.
Want to read Figo blog articles curated specifically for you and your pet?
Common responses to the recent...