Back

Get started

Customized by You

Design your pet’s plan in less than 60 seconds.

Art supplies can poison pets

Q: I teach after-school art classes in my home, and I often leave my pupils’ creations out to dry overnight. I am adopting a new puppy, Matisse, and I want him to be able to join my students while they’re working on their projects. Are there any precautions I should take?

A: Yes, some art supplies are toxic if they are ingested, inhaled or contact the skin, so you should crate Matisse when you can’t supervise him.

Prevent him from chewing on paint brushes and other tools. If wood, modeling clay, fabric, plastic or foam gets lodged in his stomach or intestines, he may need surgery.

Don’t let Matisse touch wet paint, lick ceramic glaze or inhale solvents. Don’t feed or water him in your art room, and don’t let your students pet him until they’ve washed their hands. If he gets something on his coat, clean it with pet shampoo or liquid dishwashing soap, not a solvent.

With proper oversight, Matisse should remain safe – and he may even become an inspiring muse to some of your students.

Editor’s Note: The ASPCA’s Animal Poison Control Center is available all day, every day.


Lee Pickett, V.M.D. practices companion animal medicine. Contact her at askdrlee@insurefigo.com

Q: My dog, Jake, was...

Each year 3 to 4 million dogs and cats...

We love our cats, but not the damage...

protracting cat claws for trimming

Q: How do I clip my...

More From Figo Blog

Cancer is the leading disease-related cause...

Among the most unusual of the domestic...

Samoyed dog running towards owner

I have always believed that recall is the most...

Dogs abandoned during flood

Q: Our family recently moved...

At its core, clicker training is a way to...

Scarf’d: Mother Cluckin’ Good Chicken And Waffles For Pets

Mother’s Day is for the moms (fur, human,...

Indoor cat hunting a mouse

Q: I live in the country and have three indoor...

Sick dog laying on floor

How much easier our lives would be if our dogs...

HELP