If you’re a cat lover, you know how much affection, comfort, and joy a feline companion can bring. And what better way to return that unconditional love than with some hand-made crafts? From comfy kitty hideaways to scratching posts, toys, and treats—here are just a few ideas to help you get started!
If one thing is certain about cats it’s that they value their privacy. When home life gets hectic, your cat will likely search out a quiet place away from the action. Why not put your crafting skills to work to make a daytime hideaway for your feline friend?
- With just a t-shirt, some hangers, and a few household items, you can make a t-shirt tent for your favorite feline. Looking for other fun hideaway ideas?
- Try this easy-to-make cat teepee. All you need is a blanket, 3 wooden dowels, and some twine, and you can create a comfy place for your cat to relax.
- And if your pet needs some extra privacy during litter time, try converting a piece of functional furniture into a hide-a-pan cabinet.
Bedding & Cat Trees
We all know how much cats enjoy their naptime.
- If you’re looking to keep your cat comfy while giving your crafting skills a workout, try making a cute cat hammock where your feline can get some snooze time.
- For cats that enjoy their chill time from a high perch, try adding some cat-friendly seating to your walls.
- Check out this easy tutorial for making wall shelf napping stations for your feline friends.
- If you want to push your crafting skills to the max, while bringing some nature into your home, try these easy instructions for building a cat tree using real branches.
Cats need to scratch—and they are notorious for sharpening their claws on our best furniture, drapes, etc.
- If you’re good with your hands and want to craft something that will both amuse your cat and spare your upholstery, try making a scratching post from an old vase.
- Don’t have a standing vase? Try this easy-to-make DIY scratching post idea.
Games & Toys
Keeping your cats entertained and mentally stimulated can be a challenge, especially if you’re away from home for much of the day. Fortunately, there are some simple ways to make fun and creative cat toys at home.
- Nothing sparks a cat’s innate feline hunting instinct like a feather wand.
- Another easy DIY toy your cats are sure to enjoy is homemade catnip-stuffed mice. All you’ll need is some felt, catnip, cotton stuffing, and a few sewing supplies.
- And if you need to repurpose an old t-shirt, try making these cat-friendly cloth toys.
Maybe your DIY skills are in the culinary area. Here are a few delicious and nutritious treat ideas your cats will love.
- Try baking up some “Holy Mackerel” cat treats or some heart-shaped tuna treats.
- And cats really love these homemade chewy bars made with real egg and chicken!
Cecily Kellogg is a pet lover who definitely has crazy cat lady leanings. Her pets are all shelter rescues, including the dog, who is scared of the cats. She spent eight years working as a Veterinary Technician before becoming a writer. Today she writes all over the web, including here at Figo.
Want to read Figo blog articles curated specifically for you and your pet?
Dogs need exercise, mental stimulation...