So, you want your pet to be an Instagram star? Or maybe you want to have some photographic fun? Animals make the social platform an incredible place, with adorable snaps and hilarious moments captured by their parents. You don’t have to have the goal of making your sweet cat, pup or lizard a sensation, to have a ton of fun setting up a place to show off their preciousness.
But having a pet page can sometimes become a lucrative side gig. If you want to get your cutie pie on Instagram, read on. Let’s get the technical stuff out of the way first. Instagram details exactly how to start a new account:
Here’s how to make a pet Instagram account from the app:
- Download the Instagram app from the App Store (iPhone) or Google Play Store (Android).
- Once the app is installed, tap the Instagram icon to open it.
- Tap Sign Up With Email or Phone Number (Android) or Create New Account (iPhone), then enter your email address or phone number (which will require a confirmation code) and tap Next. You can also tap Log in with Facebook to sign up with your Facebook account.
- If you register with your email or phone number, create a username and password, fill out your profile info and then tap Next. If you register with Facebook, you'll be prompted to log into your Facebook account if you're currently logged out.
To create an Instagram account from a computer:
- Go to instagram.com.
- Click Sign up, enter your email address, create a username and password or click Log in with Facebook to sign up with your Facebook account.
- If you register with an email, click Sign up. If you register with Facebook, you'll be prompted to log into your Facebook account if you're currently logged out.
Note: You can also make your pet’s account an extension of your own, making it easy to flip back and forth.
Branding and Aesthetic
Your pet is already unique, so focus on their existing attributes when coming up with clever branding. When it comes to how to start a dog Instagram or a cat Instagram, maybe you have a prissy Pom who loves to wear frilly dresses (Some do! My pup literally dances in excitement when I pull out her favorite Christmas dress). Perhaps your cuddle bug is living their best life despite a disability or condition, like the forever beloved late Grumpy Cat. Using what you’ve got, and highlighting a pet’s true characteristics is the way to make the world fall in love.
Not sure how to get pet Instagram followers? Here are a few other things to help create a brand and look:
- Decide who your audience is and what they are looking for. Humor? Inspiration? Information and tips?
- Keep a few key pieces of your photos the same every time. Definitely change it up, but have those touches that are visually identifiable as your pet. A specific filter could be used. Or you could always include food, a scenic background or landmark, depending on the goal.
- Use staple hashtags like #dogsofInstagram, and even create your own regularly used one, like #StrudelthePug or #HallithePom. Hashtags are a powerful social media tool and they can help widen your audience.
Plan Your Content
Mapping out your goals and overall ambitions for the account can help you get where you want to be faster.
- Create a long-term goal in a notebook, or even on your phone notes. How many followers are you aiming for? How many times a week would you like to post? Maybe there are some bucket list posts you would like to fulfill by the end of the year. Check back and meter your progress.
- Map out weekly posts and make specific plans about what each theme will be. Wednesday could be all about baking with your pet, Friday could be the two of you heading out for some ice cream.
- Take photos ahead of time. This provides time to edit, decide on hashtags and create the narrative.
Some Influential Pets
Still confused about how to start a pet Instagram? Take a look at some high performing pet profiles:
- Miami_Traveller_Dog is a precious Chihuahua touring the globe.
- Pixieprickles is living her best hedgehog life!
- Apugcalledluna loves showing off her latest accessories.
- Mrpawsome he’s an adventurous, yet “artisanal” feline
The Number One Rule
Have fun! Seriously. That’s when the magic happens—when you and your baby are just being real! You never know when you’ll strike gold and make a successful pet Instagram, or when just another great memory will be made.
Karyn Wofford is a “Mom” to her fluffy, sweet dog Halli. She spends much of her time traveling and advocating for Type 1 diabetes—and Halli sometimes accompanies her on her adventures. You’ll find Karyn’s work on sites like Mother Earth Living, and in magazines such as Diabetes Forecast.
Want to read Figo blog articles curated specifically for you and your pet?
Common responses to the recent...