It seems as if everyone is baking in some form during this time of quarantine. Naturally, we’re dusting off our past Scarf’d recipes to share and these Apple Cake Crunch Pup Pops are great treat for the pups of the house. We even recommend dropping some off to your neighbor pup-friends for fun. Happy scarf’ing!
Recipe for All Cake Crunch Pup Pops
- 3 cups of water
- ¼ cup apple sauce (unsweetened)
- 1 egg
- 1/8 tsp of vanilla
- 2 tbsp honey
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup dried apple chips
- 1 tsp baking powder
Peanut Butter Maple Glaze:
- 2 tbsp bacon grease
- ¼ cup smooth peanut butter (organic, unsalted)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Frosting (for decorating) *optional
- 12 oz cream cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix wet ingredients together first: water, applesauce, egg, vanilla and honey.
3. In a separate bowl, combine your dry ingredients: flour, apple chips and baking powder.
4. Add applesauce mixture to flour mixture. Mix thoroughly.
5. Pour mixture into greased cake pan and cook for approximately 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out dry. Check at 30 minutes.
6. Let cake cool for 10-15 min.
7. After cool, using a spoon, scoop cake out of pan and shape into approx. 1” balls by rolling in between palms of hand. (If serving to smaller dogs, we suggest making your ball size smaller, about ½” in diameter.)
8. Heat bacon grease, peanut butter, and maple syrup on low heat over stove top. Stir until well combined. Turn heat off.
9. Take your formed cake balls and using tongs, roll in peanut butter glaze until fully coated.
10. Combine cream cheese, vanilla and maple syrup in a mixing bowl. Once cake balls have chilled enough, decorate with frosting. Hint: We used cake decorating icing tips to create a design.
11. Top with sprinkles, place cake balls on candy paper sticks and let’s get this party poppin’!
Disclaimer: We recommend consulting with a veterinarian before serving your pup human food. Do not give your pup the entire cake pop stick, hold onto cake pop and let them lick, enjoy, scarf.
Scarf’d DIY simple pet recipes: easy-to-make and dog approved. Crafted in our office test kitchen with the help (and appetites) of our beloved Figo dogs. So, go ahead and share these tasty treats with your pup.
Want to read Figo blog articles curated specifically for you and your pet?