This is our favorite time of year around here at Figo HQ. We believe a homemade treat is the best kind of treat, and pretty sure our pets do too. These easy-to-make and healthy candy cane dog biscuits are a treat even the whole family can help make. Happy holidays from our fam to yours, and happy scarf’ing!
Recipe for Candy Cane Dog Biscuits
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 2 cups oat flour
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- Red food dye
1. Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
2. In a large bowl, mix together flour, oats, and applesauce.
3. Add 1 beaten egg to flour mixture, and combine until tacky dough forms (add small amounts of water if mixture is too dry).
4. Divide dough into halves.
5. In separate bowl, take one half of dough and add 5-6 drops of red food dye. Mix until red is the color consistency you like.
6. Take a small spoonful of red dough and a small spoonful of original dough, roll into two thin strips.
7. Connect two strips of dough together at one end, twist about 6-7 rotations, intertwining red dough and original dough.
8. Curve top of dough strip to mimic the look of a candy cane, place on parchment covered baking sheet. *Optional: to add a glossy finish to your treats, before baking take another beaten egg and brush a thin layer of egg onto the dog biscuits.
9. Bake for 20 minutes at 350°F.
Let cool and enjoy!
Have you ever made one of our Scarf’d recipes? We want to see your photos! Don’t forget to tag us @figopet on Facebook and Instagram.
Scarf’d DIY simple pet recipes: easy-to-make and dog approved. Crafted in our office test kitchen with the help (and appetites) of our beloved Figo dogs. So, go ahead and share these tasty treats with your pup.
Want to read Figo blog articles curated specifically for you and your pet?