While looks can be deceiving, this recipe does not include chocolate, which is dangerous for pets. Instead, it includes carob.
Quick carob knowledge bomb drop: Similar to chocolate chips, carob chips are also derived from seedpods. Specifically, carob chips are made from the roasted and crushed seedpods that grow on the carob tree, Ceratonia siliqua.
Carob is a great chocolate substitute (for humans and pets alike). Carob does not contain caffeine or theobromine—the chemical that makes chocolate deadly for dogs. Carob also contains a good amount of fiber, as well as vitamins A, B, and D, as well as calcium, magnesium, iron, potassium, and protein.
So, there you go: Carob for all!
We also know how busy the holiday season can get, so here is a quick, non-bake treat you can make for your pup. Giving you time to treat your pet, while also having time to finish your holiday shopping.
Recipe for Dog Friendly “Chocolate” Bark:
2 1/2 cups natural carob chips
2 cups plain Greek yogurt
2 Tbsp coconut oil
1 container fresh raspberries
1/2 cup desiccated, unsweetened shredded coconut
Line a smaller baking sheet with parchment paper, we used a 9 1/2” x 13 1/2” sized pan.
1. Using a double boiler setup, bring a small amount of water to a simmer in the saucepan. Set your heatproof bowl on top of the saucepan, but make sure it’s not touching the water below. Place carob chips in heatproof bowl, stirring constantly, until all carob is melted.
2. Pour melted carob into pan and spread evenly to cover surface of pan. Place in freezer for approximately 15 minutes or until carob is firm.
3. Using same double boiler set up used for the carob chips, heat coconut oil until melted. Turn off burner, but keep heatproof bowl above the heated water. Add Greek yogurt to coconut oil and mix. Add half of your raspberries to the yogurt/coconut oil mixture. Mix thoroughly.
4. Pour mixture on top of cooled carob and spread evenly to cover.
5. Decorate with remaining raspberries and sprinkle with shredded coconut.
6. Place in freezer to chill for 45 minutes or until firm.
7. Once firm, break into pieces and enjoy!
Recipe inspired by PrettyFluffy.com.
Want to read Figo blog articles curated specifically for you and your pet?
While we believe in sharing the love with...