Scarf’d: Mother cluckin’ good chicken and waffles
Brunch with your favorite fur babe by making these pet friendly chicken and waffles for Mother’s Day.
Mother’s Day is for the moms (fur, human, plant—all the moms): It’s a day to relax, kick back, and be pampered. However, if you’re a pet parent—and unless your dog has opposable thumbs (if so, please send pics)—it’s hard to brunch together without the human doing the cooking. Don’t worry, this pet friendly chicken and waffles recipe is easy to make...and how often do you get to brunch with your fur babe? No matter who does the cooking, enjoy the day with whoever you consider as family. See the scarf’able recipe below.
Note: We made a human version for ourselves, along with the recipe below for our pets. Didn’t want you think we were eating dog biscuits.
Recipe For Mother Cluckin’ Good Chicken + Waffles
For the waffles
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup canned 100% pumpkin
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp coconut oil (melted)
Organic honey for drizzling at the end
For the chicken
1 package of organic chicken tenderloins
Handful of dog bone treats (any brand you prefer)
Preheat oven to 350° F
Turn on mini waffle maker to preheat.
Part I: Chicken
1. Place dog bone treats into a plastic bag, wrap with a dish towel, and crush using either a wooden kitchen hammer or rolling pin. Crush until they are small enough to create a crust like covering for your chicken.
2. Put eggs in a small bowl and beat until thoroughly mixed.
3. Take each chicken tenderloin, one by one: dredge in egg and then cover in crushed dog bones. Place chicken on baking tray.
4. Bake for about 20 minutes at 350° F or until golden brown and chicken is thoroughly cooked through.
Part II: Waffles
5. In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients together – whole wheat flour, cinnamon, and baking soda.
6. Stir in wet ingredients next – eggs, canned pumpkin, and coconut oil.
7. Spray mini waffle maker with nonstick spray. Pour a spoonful of waffle mix onto waffle maker, until about ¾ filled, close top and let cook for about 5-7 minutes or until golden brown.
8. Place cooked chicken tenderloins on top of waffle, drizzle with a little organic honey, and watch them be scarf’d.
_Disclaimer:_We recommend consulting with a veterinarian before serving your pup human food.
Scarf’d DIY simple pet recipes: easy-to-make and dog approved. Crafted in our office test kitchen with the help (and appetites) of our beloved Figo dogs. So, go ahead and share these tasty treats with your pup.