We couldn’t stop giggling at the empanada-stealing dog who made a debut on a Chilean newscast last year.
In honor of National Empanada Day (there’s literally a day for everything) on April 8th, we thought we make it easier for all the pups out there and create a Savory Mini Pupanada recipe that is just as worthy of the steal.
Recipe For Mini Savory Pupanadas
For the dough
- 2 tbsp organic honey
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- 1 cup whole wheat organic flour, extra flour for rolling out dough
- Water, as needed, if dough is too dry
For the filling
- 1 package of ground chicken
- ½ cup chicken stock
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- Preheat oven to 350° F
1. In a large bowl, mix together honey, melted coconut oil, and organic flour. If mixture is too sticky, add splashes of water as needed.
2. Sprinkle flour onto flat surface and roll out dough until flat. Using either a cookie cutter or glass (we used the top of a glass), cut circles out of dough.
3. Cut dough circles in half to create two moon shapes, set aside.
4. Cook ground chicken, carrots, and chicken stock together in a stovetop pan. Cook until chicken is thoroughly cooked and stock as dissipated.
5. Taking one half of your moon shapes, spoon a small amount of chicken/carrot mixture onto dough.
6. Take second half of dough and place on top, using a fork to pinch the sides of the pupanada together.
7. Place in oven for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
8. Top with a slice of avocado and tomato and serve!
Disclaimer: We recommend consulting with a veterinarian before serving your pup human food.
Scarf’d DIY simple pet recipes: easy-to-make and dog approved. Crafted in our office test kitchen with the help (and appetites) of our beloved Figo dogs. So, go ahead and share these tasty treats with your pup.
Want to read Figo blog articles curated specifically for you and your pet?