Cats can have a bad reputation, and many articles and tips refer to dogs alone when it comes to travel. But we’re here to tell you any well behaved feline companion deserves a vacay too! Here’s your ultimate informational guidelines for a successful getaway with your cat.
Cat Friendly Hotels
Before setting out to any hotel, be sure your cat is healthy, and that vaccinations are up to date--snag paperwork from your vet to keep with you.
Call ahead to your selected hotel to confirm that particular location’s pet policy. While Marriott, Holiday Inn and Hyatt welcome cats with some stipulations, the following are the very best for their pet hospitality.
- Loews Hotels. Just $50 will allow your cat to stay at the lavish chain, and they’ll certainly be pampered as well, with treats, litter boxes and comfy beds. Certain locations have kitty room service menus featuring chicken and salmon. That sounds more like the human menu!
- Hilton. Pets allowed! Just follow the agreement rules.
- Kimpton. The HosPETality program ensures your pet has a comfortable stay at no extra cost.
- La Quinta. Most locations allow two cats to stay for free.
- Motel 6. A solid, well established, basic chain, Motel 6 allows you to keep your cuddle buddy with you at no charge.
- Red Roof Inn. Another very affordable option, you can crash with your cat here, without any fees.
Apps for Finding the Perfect Place
May sites and apps can help you plan your vacation, while being a great tool during your stay as well. Have these web addresses on hand, or load the app onto your phone for fast access.
While not being a site designed to find pet friendly hotels, Airbnb clearly states whether or not animals are welcome in that particular listing. Many owners welcome pets, so make sure to show your thanks by keeping things tidy and pristine.
- PetsWelcome.com- Pets welcome is awesome because they get down to the nitty gritty—enter in specifics such as size, type and number of pets to whittle down to the very best lodging.
- GoPetFriendly.com helps you cultivate an entire vacation, from cat friendly hotels to restaurants.
Questions You Should Ask Before Your Stay
- Is there a fee, and how much is it? Note: Hotels like the Hilton welcome cats, but charge roughly $35-$40.
- Are litter boxes provided?
- Will housekeeping take precautions to ensure my cat does not escape?
- What vaccinations or paperwork are required?
- What happens if my pet damages something?
Cat Etiquette Guidelines
- Do not let your kitty claw furniture, curtains or linens. Note: Since this is unpredictable behavior, bring along toys and other forms of entertainment or distraction.
- It may be the most appropriate thing to place your cat in a comfy, spacious kennel with plenty of food and water while you are out.
- Place the litter box itself in another large container to prevent litter spillage (Your housekeeper will thank you!)
- When transporting your baby throughout the hotel, keep them in a soft pet carrier so they can’t wiggle away. Note: PetsMart has a soft carrier by Whisker City that has a cozy, but sturdy design.
See? Kitty’s can definitely come along for the adventure. Bringing your pet can have its challenges, but is quite rewarding while bringing lots of piece of mind. (I mean come on, can we really trust the neighbors to give your baby all the love they really need?) Just do a bit of planning, have the right tools, and get ready for the vacation of a lifetime with your furry friend.
Karyn Wofford is a “Mom” to her fluffy, sweet dog Halli. She spends much of her time traveling and advocating for Type 1 diabetes—and Halli sometimes accompanies her on her adventures. You’ll find Karyn’s work on sites like Mother Earth Living, and in magazines such as Diabetes Forecast.
Want to read Figo blog articles curated specifically for you and your pet?
From glimpses of the gorgeous mountains...